Saturday, March 8, 2008

Solution to a bumpy problem

I've had lumpy arms for as long as I can recall. Like a little sleeve of rash that covers my upper arm which up until now has been so minuscule that it has been bearable. For years I've palmed it off as minor dermatitis. However recently, more then ever before (probably due to the increase in waxing activity in the area) I have been experiencing a double in the number of little patches of bumps on my upper AND now lower arms.

In annoyance I consulted my beauty school lecturer about how to rid my life of these pesky mounds. "They're hairs." teacher told me, "Ingrown's to be precise. Scrubbing should do nicely. Every night for a week and they'll be gone." She told me. No dice. They were still there and more inflamed and aggressive than ever. So on to the over the counter ingrown hair removers. After a week of slathering various foul smelling concoctions on the uneven surfaces of my appendages there were few results to show. With tension mounting and despair abundant I did what I do best, I turned to my mum. Sorcerer and keeper of beauty secrets, with her many-a-years experience and an old wives tale or two up her sleeve she told me to treat it as I would a headache, with aspirin. I followed her advice and voila! The little pests are vanishing before my very relieved eyes.

I was instructed to make a paste out of a couple of aspirin tablets and a drop or two of water, apply to affected area and leave on until showering. I have been doing this for a week now and the bumps are clearing, and I can actually see the little curly hairs emerging where once bumps lay. I tend to do it the messy way and leave it on when sleeping but you can do it however you wish. You can apparently also use the paste as an exfoliant. Just rub in an wash off. I am told that this works due to the small amount of salicylic acid in aspirin, which would make sense of the fact that after conducting some Internet research I have discovered it is also an old pimple remedy. Figures, but it's better than Windex.

C xx

No comments: